Saturday, June 20, 2009

Summer Reading


We have been to the library a couple of times for the summer reading program. They always have an activity or guest speaker and it's a lot of fun for the boys. After the program, they choose several books to check out.

The first day we went, Josh chose a book titled SHEEP. It is about a Border Collie dog and is probably the longest book Josh has read from cover to cover...at least up to that point. He read it in half a day and his reading comprehension was impressive to say the least.

Josh totally let himself be drawn into this book.

So much so, that when it didn't end the way he had hoped......

He was CRUSHED!

And seeing him crushed, crushed me.

So what did I do?

I read it too. (That's how I know he has good reading comprehension...)

I was confused as to why he was sad, because the book has a happy ending.

But, it wasn't the happy ending Josh wanted.....

So we don't talk about it anymore.

He's been a tad less enthusiastic with reading since....but hopefully he'll be able to once again let his imagination be drawn in by good reading very soon.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

That's sweet!

Reba said...

Lauren read a lot this year but she is suddenly into chapter books like Ramona and the Little House on the Prairie books. I love seeing her get wrapped up in a book like I did that age. Keep reading, Josh!