Monday, November 05, 2007

All We Like Sheep

I'd like to add a little something about sheep... We had some company over last night and one of my friends was asking why God refers to us as sheep. My short answer is because they are STUPID!

As a child, it was my job in the evenings to gather and pen all of our sheep. It often took me hours to do (at least it seemed like it) and maybe it wouldn't have to all the time, but nevertheless...it took awhile because they wouldn't be all in the same place. One or two or maybe even a small group of them would be here or there and they'd get themselves hemmed up on the hillside where it was difficult to get around them and move them the right direction. And then in the meantime the rest of the group had again wandered away, so I'd have to go and get them again! So finally I'd close the gate and think I was finished and lo and behold I'd find more. Then there might be a lamb or two or even triplets left out alone that would need to be carried back. Sometimes it seemed to be a never ending battle.

Some years later we ended up with a dog who could reign them right on in with no trouble or if you honk a horn that will usually work. So I guess it was just me trying to do things the hard way. But I enjoyed my play along the way. I would talk and sing to myself and yes, even express my deep frustration at those stupid sheep. I'm sure glad God doesn't ever give up and decide to just leave us out in the cold on the hillside, like I was tempted so many times to do with my flock. And truth be known, I probably did leave them out there a few times!

Why do we act like sheep? Are we bound to act like them? Have we no hope of NOT acting like them? Sometimes I wonder... Why bother? I'm just a stupid sheep and I'll never be anything but... But I don't think God wants us to think that way. He probably wouldn't even use the word stupid. I'm sure He has a much deeper view of us that we can't even fathom.

Really, I don't know where I'm going with this...I'm sure I could continue on in my ponderings and perhaps I will, but life beckons me now. If I come up with more thoughts on the subject, I'll continue with the post. Now I've got to get to class....

1 comment:

Reba said...

I am enjoying your "wordy" posts. :) I sure do feel like those stupid sheep...each and every day. I too am thankful that God doesn't just leave us on the hillside in the cold. I am sure He has to be tempted to...I would. :)
Reba