Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Humbled by His Grace

This entire post must be prefaced by something: I have come to realize that what you see and read here are not really whole pictures of our life and my abilities as a Mother. I fear some of you may look at this and think, "she's got it all together." Let me assure you. I DO NOT! I struggle often with feelings of doubt in the "job" I am doing. I tend to post the good things. The things that make us look good. You don't hear about the times when I lose my patience in the middle of schooling and leave the room in tears or how the kids have to wake me up in the mornings to ASK for breakfast. (SHAME!) And for that matter, you don't know how many times I've not had a "real" meal planned and just winged it with something I knew they would eat. You don't hear the exasperation in my voice when I have given instruction after instruction only to be met with a deaf ear. You don't know that in 4 years, I still haven't succeeded in getting a certain little someone to stay in his own bed all night. (Okay, I did write about that!) But just let me say: anything good that has come out of this parenting thing, is not from me OR Craig. It is only by God's Amazing Grace! We did NOT do this. HE did!

Now....to my story. Early last week Craig declared that we are going to read through the Bible this year as a family. Wonderful! We got a late start and certainly things come up where we can't do it every night, but so far, most nights we have done it. Andrew has not become a huge part of this nightly ritual yet, because he is either asleep or just doesn't have the attention span to last for 3 to 4 chapters of reading. Josh, on the other hand, has embraced it. He gets out his own Bible and follows along. You can imagine about how long it might take to read 3 to 4 chapters....not a real long time. Well, last night, long after we had finished our reading, Josh was still reading his Bible. He read for over an hour! Looking up different things on his own. He absolutely LOVED it! We had the opportunity to discuss the 10 Commandments and to let him see which ones he has broken, showing him that he, too, is a sinner. We went on to talk about Jesus "getting in trouble" on the cross for us and about forgiveness. We prayed that Josh would understand these things and feel God tugging at his heart. It was so precious, and I pray that God will fill his little heart more and more with a passion for His Holy Word. No words are adequate for His rich mercies! Praise God He works in the hearts of our children, despite our failures! And you know what else? Josh told me he can't wait to take his Bible to church on Wednesday night, so he can read to his friends. WOW! What has God got planned for this little guy? Lord, please don't let me mess it up!

AMAZING GRACE!

7 comments:

Reba said...

What a neat kid! And I love that he has already discovered who Jesus is and how awesome it is to know Him! I cannot wait to see what God's plans are for him...

The Huneycutt Family said...

Wow! That's a really good idea. We have struggled for what to do; who would think that just reading scripture and not trying some new fangled family devotional would yield the biggest results. We may have to try it!

The "W" Family said...

Hi Katie,
I am definitely trying that tonight. I'll let you know if it works or not. Thanks for the advice! I enjoyed looking at your cute boys!

shawnda said...

That's awesome to see he has a passion to learn about God. What a neat idea to read the Bible as a family.
Oh and I loved the transparency of your confession; I think we all tend to blog about the easy and best things.

Anonymous said...

Katie O,

I love your intro. You are so honest and open, that's cool.

It was great to visit with you a few weeks ago...

I really appreciate your willingness to post on our blog. I can always count on a post form Katie O. and it's somehow very comforting.. It's like all things are right with the world...

Great Idea on reading through the Bible.. Your heart must be full of joy when you see Josh yearning for the word!

That's just Awesome..

Anonymous said...

I'm truely inspired! The Lord is awesome at filling in the gaps of parenting where we lack. Looks to me like you two are doing an amazing job!! Two mighty men of God you have there!

Hendrick Family said...

What a precious family! Children reading God's Word...there is nothing better!

Heather