Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Jumping in Where We Are

It is upon us.  That nasty stomach bug.  Ugh!  I detest stomach bugs.  I have to say, I think I handle them much better than my parents ever dreamed I would.  Now that I have kids, it's just different.  We are 3 and 5 now.  That is, 3 of us have (or have had) it since Friday, and 2 of us have not.  Anyone care to guess who's on which team, and who is in the trenches now?  LoL!  At least we're over the halfway mark!

Rather than worry about all the many pictures I've never shared here, or try to play catch up....I thought maybe I'd just jump in where I am.  Obviously.  Did you read the first paragraph?  I did want to mention though, that Josh and Andrew did end up getting baptized on January 2.  I was able to take a video and one of my goals is to figure out how to condense it enough to be able to upload it online.  Any tutors out there?  It's my understanding you have to have a program to convert it somehow?  I'm clueless.

We are into our second semester of school.  I am finally getting my head back in a place where I believe we can accomplish this.  I am well aware that I don't post here often, and what I do share is usually the positive.  Of course, that is always more fun, and I also believe that positive things are what we should focus on.  There is a balance though.  I wouldn't want to be guilty of giving anyone the idea that I "have it all together, all the time," and in turn make them feel like something is wrong with them.  Cause let me tell ya!  I do NOT have it all together, ever.  Yes, I have moments that are better than others.  Don't we all?

So all of that to say....  I have struggled with homeschooling lately.  I'm just going to say it.  It ain't easy.

Maintaining routines
Minimizing distractions
Being creative
Feeling behind
Wanting it to be so much fuller and richer than it is...
Figuring out how each learns
Spending extra time on the subjects that aren't as fun, and don't come as easy.
Feeling totally overwhelmed on all fronts.

I could go on, and in great detail...but you get the point.

With all of that said though, I still believe it is what I'm supposed to be doing.  Perhaps not for the reasons I once thought.  Well, maybe it is for those reasons.  But it's more than that.  

Just as much as it is for them....  It's for me.

I believe God wants to stretch me, and grow me through this season of parenthood.  In what ways?

One of the biggest ways, I think, is in trusting God.  I believe He wants to show me that He is the One in control.  He is the One who will redeem my mistakes, daily.  He is the One who will speak to the hearts of these boys, and grow them into His men. 

I am humbled to be a part of the journey.

1 comment:

Reba said...

I appreciate that you were just out there and honest. I also am happy you posted. I have missed you. :) Hope that bug passes quickly. It is NO fun.