Sunday, May 18, 2008

Redneck Cruise Night

MAN....do I wish I had taken a camera with us on Saturday night! We went to a neighboring small town across the river for their bi-annual "Cruise Night." Craig took the top off the Jeep and installed the back seat for the boys, and off we went! As we were heading over, I thought to myself, "oh this will be fun, but no big deal." As we cross over the river, I notice a classic car headed the other direction. My thoughts were confirmed..."this guy came and saw it wasn't worth the time and now he's taking his beautiful car and leaving." But wait! We round the corner and OH MY GOODNESS! Bumper to bumper traffic. Vehicles of ALL kinds and people lining the street.

We needed to run an errand down on the other end of town, so we "cruised" all the way through in our open air Jeep with onlookers checking us out as we drive by. I should have waved! It really was like being in a parade.

After we got what we needed, we were feeling a little dry in the mouth, so we headed to Craig's favorite "filling station" for a fountain drink. We ended up parking there to watch everyone else drive by. Talk about REDNECK! Where else can you go and find people cruising through town with their kids sitting in lawn chairs in the bed of their old beat up pickup truck? Even the General Lee from the Dukes of Hazzard was there. I must say...it looked very authentic to me. There was a guy with a John Deere green and yellow truck that said Mater on the front. There were even some folks crusing in a Kodiak, old diesal duallies, still others in minivans! HA....I don't think they intended to be IN the cruise! But everytime I'd see one I'd say, "cruisin' in the minivan!" Hysterical! Then you'd get these young boys out there who would rev their engines, blow smoke and generally act foolish with their reckless driving. All the while the cops are making passes up and down the street and don't seem to have a problem with all this crazy behavior.

One thing (among several) Craig and I found amusing is that the guys with the "real" cool, classic cars (who likely can remember when gas was 25 cents per gallon or less)were smart enough to realize that it is just plain stupid to drive up and down the street when gas is approaching $4 per gallon! So what ended up happening is that most of the "cool" cars were parked and everyone else was "cruising" up and down the street so they could see the cars. We did get to see some neat cars though, I have to admit. Overall, I would say it was a fun evening and I would do it again. I heartily recommend checking out the next local "Cruise Night" in your area. It will be worth tons of laughs!

P.S. Can you just imagine someone from a big city coming to an event like this? Oh to be a fly on the door panel!

1 comment:

Cool Grandma said...

I had my camera out for you to take, but I forgot to remind you...I guess I thought you would just see it and go with it.