Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Fluffy, Clean Smellin' Towels



Recently I learned the secret to getting that nasty mildew smell out of bath towels.

Am I the only one with that problem?

So, apparently there are a million and one uses for distilled white vinegar. Who knew?

A lot of people, I'm sure.

But did you know that you can pour some in with your bath towels when they are on the rinse cycle and it will take that smell right out?

I'm not sure how much you are really supposed to use, but I've tried filling the detergent measuring cap full and that seems to work well. My problem is remembering to make it to the washer on time to catch the rinse cycle.

I've heard you can use one of those Downy fabric softener balls instead. Do they even still make those? I haven't seen them lately.

So there you have it....your homemaking tip of the day.

You're welcome.

:)

P.S. I'm still working on that menu.

3 comments:

green6 said...

I knew the vinegar would take the mildew smell out if you left the laundry in the washer too long. I don't normally just wash towels by themselves, but I guess I should try this to be able to put vinegar in at the right time to get that smell out. We recently bought new washer and dryer, the new effeciency ones, so I would have to figure out when the right time is to add the vinegar! I'm still trying to figure out if i am putting the correct detergent in and in the right spot!
Hey, thanks for the homemaking 101!

Cool Grandma said...

I have been pouring white vinegar in with my Daddy's laundry....just adding it at the same time as the detergent. It seems to work like that, but may even be better to add to the rinse cycle.

Great post.

Reba said...

I bought a Downy ball not too long ago, so I think they are out there. I need to try that with our dishtowels. They always smell musty to me...