Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Reality {and the beginnings of a Home Tour?}

I think you get to know someone better by being in their home. I'm sad to admit that I rarely entertain in our home. It is not because I do not have countless good examples. My mother has always been a lovely hostess and throughout the years her home has been a place people enjoy visiting. It's never been about the house itself, but the people and life lived there. My mother-in-law is also a great example to me when it comes to entertaining. Her home is regularly filled with family and friends alike.

So what is it with me?

Pride? Perfectionism? Fear? Laziness? Busy-ness?

All of the above?

Probably.

So while I'm thinking that YES, indeed, I do need to overcome those things and just change my ways....it also gave me the idea to slowly but surely invite each of you to "visit" our home through pictures. Imperfections and all...

Now on to my post.........

Do you ever get completely overwhelmed with clutter? You can't even figure out where to begin to clean up. I often get this way and consequently, so do the boys. I really wish we would be better examples for them. There comes a point when they flat need help getting things back in order, so that they can keep things neat again. Too bad I don't have someone who can help me do the same with my stuff! :)

So a couple of weeks ago I decided it was time.

Here is what a portion of the big boy's room looked like on a pretty good day...(note: it did NOT look this good on the day I got fed up!)


I took everything out and really cleaned.  This is what was in the living room for a few hours....and it did get worse before it got better.


....and this is what we ended up with....minus the mats that I had not yet put back down.


I tried my best to talk them into parting with the cardboard truck,trailer and police car that is setting on the dresser. It clearly isn't time yet....


I didn't even bother to ask if I could dispose of the sticker collection gracing the wall behind the fan yet....I know one day all too soon they will be ready, and who knows....when the time comes, maybe I won't be!


I find it amazing that when things are all cleaned up, there isn't nearly as much as it seemed like before. I will say though...all told, I carried out two kitchen trash bags of garbage and more kid's meal toys than I care to admit.

It feels good to get a fresh start...hopefully the feeling will spread itself throughout the rest of the house.

A girl can hope right?

3 comments:

Reba said...

We deal with these same things. I just did this with the toyroom not long ago. I always vow to make sure they keep it that way, but somehow, slowly but surely, it becomes a big mess again. How does that happen?

amydeegirl said...

I have problems with keeping my room clean, too. I have so much stuff, I don't know what to do with it all. And our dorm room is really small.

Gloria said...

Yay! Katie....I think I will do a home tour kind of sort of blog in the next couple of weeks as well!

Thanks for the inspiration!