Monday, August 22, 2011

Books

I've still got to get back into taking pictures... It's just something that I laid aside for awhile.  I'm sure the excessive heat played a factor, since I prefer taking them outdoors....This picture is from the beginning of summer. I need to get one to compare and see how much they have grown in the last 3 months!

I've been thinking a lot lately about books. I've never been a big reader. The literature that was required in high school, I pretty much just read the Cliff's Notes. Sad, I know. But what is even sadder....that's pretty much par among students these days. Or at least, I'm guessing it is. It may be better or worse than I imagine. Who knows?

Anyway, back in the spring, Craig and I attended a Homeschool conference and for weeks and weeks I thought about all the great things I learned there. One of the speakers who impressed me very much is a man by the name of Mark Hamby. He has an extraordinary publishing company by the name of Lamplighter Ministries. They publish books mostly written in the 19th century and all of them have been carefully selected for character content. Each of them teach powerful lessons about things like: laziness & perseverance, choices & consequences, courage, obedience & boundaries, peer pressure, pride & willfulness, salvation, self-control, selflessness & selfishness, sibling rivalry, virtue & purity.  They sound very interesting to me on the outside looking in...I just wonder if I could really get into them. I'd like to try, and most certainly would like to get the boys interested in them. They do love to read!

Lamplighter Publishing says: " Building Christ-like character....one story at a time" is the compelling mission of Lamplighter Publishing. Guided by the biblical mandates of Malachi 4:6, Luke 1:17 and Romans 5, Lamplighter is turning the hearts of parents and children toward eternal values through the influence of godly role models who demonstrate enduring character. infused with biblical insights, this family collection of rare books provides a wholesome substitute for our sedated, media-saturated culture that is "amusing itself to death."

...."amusing itself to death." Do you know the literal meaning of the word amuse? It means 'not to think.' Now isn't that a sobering thought in our entertainment and amusement driven society?

What about you? Do you like to read? What type of books are your favorite? Are there any you see as "must reads" for your children?  Does character count?

1 comment:

Reba said...

I love to read, especially Christian fiction (both historical and contemporary), though my favorite book I have read recently is The Help. I do think character counts though my kiddos read a wide variety of books. Hunter actually prefers the classics (like Tom Sawyer and Where the Red Fern Grows).