Wednesday, August 24, 2011

It Takes All Kinds...

...to make the world go round.

What is your special place in this world? What gifts did God give specifically to you to participate in life? What is your purpose? Your calling? Your passion?

These are questions I ask myself on occasion. I think it is good for all of us to evaluate the answers to them from time to time. If not because they have changed, then at least to remind ourselves why we do what we do.

I'm blessed to have a husband who feels he is doing what God made him to do. He has always had such a servant's heart, and he feels that he can use his work to serve and bless others. Yes, he earns a living cleaning floors (and other things), but it is a ministry for him as well. He tells me all the time, "it's the little things that make a difference."

Taking the extra time to listen to the lonely elderly gentleman tell stories from long ago.

Offering to move furniture, at no extra charge, for the widow woman with no one to help her.

Being honest and professional in a time when those things are rare treasures.

Indeed, Craig has a ministry in his work. So do I, and so do you.

Sometimes it is hard for me to see my ministry amongst the mundane. I guess you could say, "I can't see the forest for the pine trees." Sometimes the big picture is not clear when I just look at the moments. Sure, some moments are precious reminders of what I'm doing...

Like when I'm rocking a sleeping baby, or laughing at silly jokes, or listening to Scripture memorization...

But what about the times when we are enduring the third temper tantrum of the day, or an animal did not get fed, or the math paper is still not done at supper time?

It is at these times that my vision gets blurry, but it is also these times that count the most! If my ministry were only cuddles and smiles, that would be easy. But, that wouldn't be much of a ministry would it? Having a servant's heart requires more. It means doing dirty work. It isn't all fun and games.

I know I will continue to get lost in the frustrating moments, but I hope that someday I can look back and see the beautiful tapestry that God was weaving all along. While I was viewing it from behind, where all the colors looked backwards, He was seeing the big picture from the front and carefully laying it all out as He'd planned long ago.

So what about you? Do you ever get a glimpse of the big picture?

1 comment:

Reba said...

Love this post! I have had a couple reminders recently about why I do what I do. So glad you are posting again...have missed your wise words!